Welcome to the third instalment of my decluttering series, based on my eyes and eyebrows. I’ll be decluttering eyeshadow palettes, single eyeshadows, mascara, eyeliner and eyebrow products.
If you missed the first two instalments, you can find them here:
- Maybelline Brow Satin in Dark Brown: I bought this during a Priceline 40% off sale, and it is fantastic! One side is the crayon, and the other is the wind-up. They have a range of colours available, and I’d compare it somewhat to Benefit Goof Proof. My only gripe is that it smells atrocious.
- Benefit Gimmie Brow in Medium/Dark and in Number 3: I always have backups of Gimmie Brow in my stash, hence why I have an older packaging bottle that I have only recently opened! I received the mini with a magazine when the new look packaging was first released.
- Benefit Goof Proof in Number 3: I love this stuff, my only gripe is that I wish I had bought the shade 4 instead of 3. I had a sales assistant who didn’t appear to know much and so I just went with her original suggestion. It has a crayon type of pencil at once end, and a spoolie at the other end.
- Benefit Browzings in Light/Medium: Another one I should have bought the darker colour in, but it was 2012 and I didn’t know much about makeup, other than the fact I couldn’t afford much while studying! This should probably go, but I think I can still get some use out of it.
- Chi Chi Brow Pomade in Medium Brown: This is the greatest. If you’re looking at any expensive brow pomades, stop. Look at Chi Chi’s offering instead. I have a full review here if you want to know more.
- Maybelline Brow Drama in Dark Brown: I hated this. This gel was just not a hit at all in my books! I originally purchased this way back when I was at uni and had run out of Gimmie Brow, and wanted a cheaper alternative. One day, when I was in New York, I looked in a close-up mirror in a change room and was astounded by how disgusting it made my brows look. Flaky, patchy and all! The wand is particularly odd and has one clump at the end of it which is too big to even do your brows with.
- Benefit Gimmie Grow in Light/Medium: I probably needed to throw this out as it was quite old and dried up. Plus, it was never my colour but I insisted on buying it anyway!
Single and Small Eyeshadow Declutter
- Stila Kitten Eyeshadow: I recently bought this and I just love it! I have been using it most days recently on its own. It’s the perfect colour that is just ‘no fuss’ and will last all day. You can also use it as a highlight.
- Australis Metallix in Plum Diddy, Gold Gaga, and Guns and Rose Petals: I recently bought these in the last Priceline 40% off sale in November, and they are fantastic. So pigmented, I am actually a little scared to use them – just because you get so much colour payoff! A cream based eyeshadow, I find you get the most out of these by using your fingers.
- Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow mini’s (2015 Christmas Collection): I looked everywhere for these after they were released in 2015. At only $65AUD they, of course, sold out instantly everywhere! I ended up finding them in Sephora at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore in January 2016, as the last ones in the country. They were a bit more expensive ($85SGD), but my birthday was coming up so I picked them out as a present from my boyfriend! Great staying power, but a little hard to blend. They dry extremely quickly, so applying a little bit at a time is the way to go.
- Wet’n’Wild Comfort Zone palette: I picked this up at a drugstore in Singapore, as they don’t sell Wet’n’Wild in Australia. I loved this at first, but I soon realised I wasn’t using it enough, and couldn’t justify keeping it. I have passed it on to my sister, who is hopefully giving it a fair bit more love.
- Maybelline Colour Tattoos in Too Cool, Bad to the Bronze, Tough as Taupe, and Creamy Beige: Most of these were dried up as I had had them nearly two years. Creamy Beige was fairly recent (about 9 months) but I just never used it anymore. I either used them as bases for eyeshadows (for the mattes) or as a single colour for the others.
- Estee Lauder Quad: I had this for years as my mum received it in a GWP from Estee Lauder. It’s the only eyeshadow I’ve ever hit pan on (before I understood all the terms), as for a time it was the only eyeshadow I even owned. I gave this back to mum to use up because I have so much similar.
Eyeshadow Palette Declutter
- Too Faced Sweet Peach palette: I bought this in the first round of release, back in April 2016. I am still on the fence about it as I just use so few colours! This makes me determined to find dupes for my favourites and destash this one I think. I just think someone else would get more out of it than me.
- Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette: I love this palette, it was my first of the larger Too Faced palette’s and I just couldn’t decide which I would like better. This has so many mattes and suitable shimmers for every day, I couldn’t imagine not having this in my collection.
- Too Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar: This is my favourite Too Faced palette I own. This palette is warm toned, but not in the way that is all about oranges and pinks. It has a great selection of everyday colours, plus an odd blue that I will probably never use.
- Too Faced Natural Matte 9 pan palette: This was one of my first palettes I owned, alongside my UD Naked palettes as I felt like I needed more matte colours. I tend to use this on its own, instead of combining with other palettes. I use 8/9 colours in this and I even have a serious dent is some of the shades (proud moment).
- Urban Decay Naked Three: I love the rosy tones in this, as well as the golden tones. I wear this pretty frequently and it has the right amount of pigmentation for my life in an office. This came out long before it was a trend to own everything rose gold, and I feel like it was successful on its own.
- Urban Decay Naked One: The original, and my ride or die as they say. This palette is similar to the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palettes in that it is warm toned but in a normal bronze and brown way that appeals to my inner neutrals fanatic. One of my first palettes and my favourites.
- Tarte Tartelette in Bloom palette: This is another fantastic palette, that I feature quite often on here. It has a great range of neutral colours, although I don’t understand why they put three similar darker colours in the same palette.
- Z Palette of Makeup Geek and MAC shades: I need to go through this and work out what I actually use because I don’t use them as much as I thought I would.
- Chi Chi Spices Palette: I bought this for a bargain on boxing day in 2015 and have only used it once. I decided to pass it along, but the pigmentation is fantastic.
- Urban Decay Naked Two palette: This was my first Naked palette, but I find I don’t use it much anymore as it’s cool toned and doesn’t suit me as much. I’m currently selling this.
- Tarte Tartlette Palette: I used to be obsessed with this, but now I find I have shades from it in most of my kept palettes, that I sold it to a better home.
- Urban Decay Naked Basics 1: This was my first palette, and I picked it up at Sephora Hollywood. I find I don’t use it enough to keep nowadays, that I have all my other palettes.
- Estee Lauder Sumptuous mascara: I received this with a copy of Marie Claire magazine, and it’s one of my favourite mascaras! The formula is not too wet, and the brush is fantastic.
- Tarte Lights Camera Flashes mascara: This mascara is also great, has a great dry formula, and the wand separates every lash perfectly.
- Too Faced Better Than Sex: I don’t think this is as good as everyone says, but it’s not bad when it’s not fresh. When I first opened it, I hated the formula as it was way too wet. I still think it smudges too much, but I’m determined to finish it.
- Maybelline Hypersharp eyeliner: This eyeliner has an angled tip and allows wings super easily.
- Maybelline Master Precise eyeliner: The original HG in my life. Will always repurchase this!
- A range of new mascaras and eyeliners from Maybelline, Nars, Marc Jacobs, Tarte, Max Factor, Clinique, YSL etc.
- Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in Sepia: This is a relatively new purchase for me, around September when I had a makeup lesson at Mecca and the artist used this on the inside of my eyelid. Full disclosure, I have attempted to use this approximately once. But, I am determined to get there!
- Eyeliners (some from at least four years ago) which were well loved by Maybelline, MAC, Rimmel, Wet’n’Wild and Estee Lauder: Just frankly, too old to be kept! I also don’t use pencil eyeliners anymore so it was pointless keeping any old ones. I have one or two newish ones that I kept from YSL and Urban Decay.
- By Terry Terrybly Growth mascara: I really liked this one, and therefore held on to it for a little longer than I should have because I’ll never afford to buy it on its own! I received this in a beauty loop box.
- Maybelline Define a Lash Mascara: I used to love this when I didn’t own much makeup. Since repurchasing a year ago in a Priceline sale I’ve decided it smells just a little funky and is not quite right for me.
- Rimmel Super Curler Mascara: Received this in a goody bag… it was not good at all for me. Too wet and the wand curved which meant that I just smudged it everywhere!
- Maybelline One By One Volume Express Mascara: I loved this mascara, but it’s since been discontinued by Maybelline which is a real shame. I once saw this on Catch of the Day and was tempted to buy a bunch until I realised that eventually I’d run out and need to get over it anyway.
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara: Hated this mascara beyond words! I find it funny that something that works so well for others can be the complete opposite for me! It was very wet and even now, literally 11 months after opening it, it’s still sopping wet and doesn’t dry down.
If you missed the first two instalments, you can find them here:
What have you decluttered recently from your eyes/eyebrows category?
What could you never declutter from it?